Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Country boy

Nina Burleigh wrote this piece for "Salon." She is famous as the woman who announced that she "would be happy to give him a blowjob just to thank him for keeping abortion legal. I think American women should be lining up with their presidential kneepads on to show their gratitude for keeping the theocracy off our backs." She obviously has no idea what it reveals about herself. Some excerpts:

"After growing accustomed to the French social system -- with its cheap medicine, generous welfare, short workweek and plentiful child care -- life back in depressed upstate New York felt especially harsh. We'd never planned to get involved in the life of the town, nor had it ever occurred to us that we might send our son to the Narrowsburg School. But suddenly we were upstate locals, with a real stake in the community."

"I cringed as my young son recited the Pledge of Allegiance. But who was I to question his innocent trust in a nation I long ago lost faith in?"


"Still, for the first few months, we felt uneasy. Eighty of Narrowsburg's 319 adults are military veterans and at least 10 recent school graduates are serving in Iraq or on other bases overseas right now. The school's defining philosophy was traditional and conservative, starting with a sit-down-in-your-seat brand of discipline, leavened with a rafter-shaking reverence for country and flag. Every day the students gathered in the gym for the "Morning Program," open to parents, which began with the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by a patriotic song, and then discussion of a "word of the week." During the first few weeks, the words of the week seemed suspiciously tied to a certain political persuasion: "Military," "tour," "nation" and "alliance" were among them."

"....In simple language, I told my son that our president had started a war with a country called Iraq. I said that we were bombing cities and destroying buildings. And I explained that families just like ours now had no money or food because their parents didn't have offices to go to anymore or bosses to pay them. "America did this?" my son asked, incredulous. "Yes, America," I answered. He paused, a long silent pause, then burst out: "But Mommy, I love America! I want to hug America!""

"....Our son is enrolled in a well-rated K-5 public school on Manhattan's Upper West Side; not surprisingly, the Pledge of Allegiance is no longer part of his morning routine. Come to think of it, and I could be wrong, I've never seen a flag on the premises."

"...How soon childish national pride is shed, I sometimes think now, and not a little wistfully. Only once it was gone did I realize that, after our initial discomfort, my husband and I had begun to see our son's patriotism as a badge of innocence. His faith was a reminder to us that the reason we are devastated by the war in Iraq and the Bush presidency is that we too love America."

2 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

Nina Burleigh's article, "Country boy":
I don't understand what this woman's complaints are towards this small town and it's former school. It sounds like God, Country, decency, goodness, learning, etc. are just outright evil. How dare anyone try to instill anything that is right, just, or moral into children! The real victim here is this poor child who is now being brain-washed by two liberal nut parents.
She states she loves America? It's more like loathes, especially "Country-Folk."

5:50 AM  
Blogger Bill Millan said...

This is a classic post from a "New York Liberal." She hasn't got a clue how foreign she is to most of this country. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who think like her.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Powered by Blogger